Your Step-By-Step Guide To File DMCA Complaint Against Any Website
Have you find your content, images are being copied and used without your explicit permission on any other website, illegally? In today era of internet, this content stealing is happening very frequently, many popular websites’ articles are being copied and used by many blogs, websites frequently.
So, if you find something similar is happening with your website and any other website owner is frequently stealing your content then you should try to stop it. Chances are, if you don’t stop it, you content might be taken as duplicated and your site can be banned from the search engines from where you get almost all of your website’s traffic. Also, if a visitor find your same article on any other website, he will consider your website illegal and untrustworthy.
Today, I am telling you how to tackle this severe problem and punish the website owner who infringe your copyrighted materials.
Step #1: Contact The Owner
When you find your copyrighted material on any website illegally, your first and foremost step is to contact the website owner, notifying about this and tell the owner to remove the copied content from their website.
Most of the websites have a contact us page if the website don’t have any, check out the about us page if they have provided email address, contact number, etc. If you still don’t find any way to contact the owner, try to send your message to them from their Facebook Fanpage, Twitter and other social networking profiles.
Ultimately, if all above tricks fail, search the website at WHO.IS Database from there you will be able to get details about website owner along with contact details. If the domain is privacy protected, you will still be able to figure out the hosting company whom you can contact for this issue.
Step #2: Filing DMCA Complaint
DMCA, stands for Digital Millenium Copyright Act is a United States copyright law which protects original owner’s right and punish the company, organization, people who infginges copyrights.
So, if the above process mentioned in Step 1 doesn’t work for you then its time to file a DMCA complaint against the content scrapper. You can consider filing DMCA complaint against the content theif to Google which will takedown the website’s search result from its search engine if found the person guilty.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Visit this link to find Google’s DMCA complaint form.
- Choose Google product which is related to your request. For example, choose Blogger/BlogSpot if a Blogger blog is copying your content, choose YouTube, a person is using your video for their benefit on YouTube, A Google Ad if you find a company using your personal details to promote them, etc. If a website is have copied your content, choose Web Search option.
- Now, specify the legal issue on your next step. First select ‘I have a legal issue not mentioned above’ then ‘I have found content that may violate my copyright’.
- Tell if you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on owner’s behalf.
- Specify what is the allegedly infringing work. Whether it is Image/Video or Other. In the above mentioned case, choose Other Option.
- Now, Google will provide you the link to fill out the form and request content removal.
- At the form, fill out your full details, specify the original source link, copyright infginging link, how you identify the content is copied.
- Accept there terms, enter the date and put your digital signature (type your name) to the provided box.
- Enter the verification text of CAPTCHA and you’re done.
Now wait for few days, Google will check for your issue and if it found the content copied, it will takedown the content theif’s website’s link from Google Search and notify you about this.
More Related Stuffs For You
Latest posts by Saurabh Saha (see all)
- The Importance of Data Backups - December 1, 2015
- Anime Starter Pack: Best Anime Series for Everyone [Infographic] - October 21, 2015
- Explore & Manage Your Android with ES File Explorer File Manager - September 27, 2015
You are here: